Monday, February 13, 2012

The Cold vs. The Johanson Family, Round Eleventy Billion. Also, Five Songs I'm Loving

Excuse me while I whip this out... this post that is. Both my kids are napping soundly. At 10:30 in the morning. It's official - they're sick. AGAIN. But didn't Kaden just finish his ear infection antibiotics yesterday, you ask? Why yes, yes he did. Excellent punctuality, cold virus!

Anika woke up this morning and came into my room. When I asked her how she was feeling, she answered "just a little good," through wheezy breaths. I then silently shook my invisible fist at the heavens for a millisecond before welcoming her into bed to snuggle in my arms. Because I have asthma, I empathize in technicolor when I hear my kids wheezing. Consciously struggling to breathe, when it normally is so easy and involuntary... that has to be one of the worst feelings in the world. Imagine trying to make your heart beat?


This morning, during the two hours of awake time, we headed over to my sister's house to borrow her nebulizer and refilled Anika's steroid inhaler. I try to use it as little as possible, simply because I'm not a fan of steroids, or drugs in my children in general, even inhaled ones. That said, I'll do anything to keep my kids breathing, so Mr. Inhaled Corticosteroid is a welcome house guest - for now.

We are getting pretty used to this routine now, of angled crib mattresses, spoonfuls of honey, and sleepless, upright nights. Like anything contingent upon your expectations, once you accept it, it gets easier, right? That, or my tried and true problem-solver combination of a meditative 30 minutes run in the woods, followed by a green salad. Or at least, I'd imagine that would help. I imagine it, and then I have some chocolate and a second glass of wine...

Yesterday was a great day, the brief normal of the in between.

Anika is a great helper - she can wash, cut off the tops, and eat strawberries in a blink now!







And Kaden is learning so much so fast. Look at his innovative use of the Magna Doodle! A pull toy, and  a drawing board. Now, that's called multitasking!



***

I've been meaning on here to share some of the other music that I like. I know not everyone likes to listen to music while reading a blog, but I do try and playlist music that goes well with my post, and that is not too intrusive of the reading process. However, the songs I choose, although I do enjoy them, are not representative of all of the music I do like. As in, I don't think LMFAO is the appropriate soundtrack to a post about sick kids. With this in mind, I thought I'd share a few of the songs I am wiggle dancing to lately. Anyone who really knows me, knows my music tastes run the gamut, and the following is no exception. I've included the genres as per Wikipedia, and my own opinions, so you can skip or enjoy at your choosing.

1. Somebody That I Used To Know - Goyte featuring Kimbra (Indie Rock)


Mellow folkie pop with a Latin American tinge. He sounds so much like Sting. And it's so bare, who can't relate to this song, on some level? I love it.

2. Born to Die - Lana Del Rey (Indie Pop)


So brooding, risque, and little crazy. I really, really love the actual music part of this song, so the lyrics are bonus. Obviously its a dark song and she's singing about a place most people don't care to travel to, but I'll take it metaphorically rather than literally. I love this song nonetheless. Actually, allthemore.

3. Turn Me On - David Guetta, featuring Nick Minaj (Dance Pop)


My new workout song. It's awesome. When Ms. Minaj starts belting out "Make me come alive...", I just want to move. Seriously, I actually cranked the treadmill up to 6.0 yesterday, for 60 seconds. Yeah, it's that good.

4. Home - Dierks Bentley (Country)


Gamut. I told you. This is my husband's influence. I never never never liked country music before I married him. But I have a soft spot for Dierks... I can't help it.

5. I Follow Rivers - Lykke Li (Again, with the All Encompassing "Indie Pop" Category)


Ever since the free iTunes download of I'm Good, I'm Gone, I've been hooked. She's so genuinely into her craft. Plus this song has that Policy of Truth Depeche Mode instrument sound, which just boosts the awesome factor. The whole "Wounded Rhymes" album is a good listen.

So there you go. Anika just came downstairs, wheezing, with a request of "I fink I need a nebuhwizer (nebulizer)."



Here's to fast recoveries.


Another sunset photo. We just get too many beautiful ones not to share.


1 comment:

  1. I also love Gotye and Kimbra is amazing with or without him...I listen to those songs every day now. SO GOOD! I will definitely check out the other songs, I don't think I've heard them. It's so cool to see the pictures of the kids growing up - and that Anika is learning to do so many things. Even learning to tell you when she needs to breathe...we had that machine forever and just recently I got a new one for myself. Stupid bronchitis! :)
    The sunset is beautiful, thanks for sharing the details of life, it makes it feel like we are closer and it hasn't been years since we've seen each other :)

    ReplyDelete