Tuesday, July 24, 2012

CSA - Week 5

We went camping last week and used up much of our box in the wild. I forget to take photos, so they are limited.





Potatoes - I chopped these up, sautéed them, and added them to our camping frittatas. The newsletter labelled these as "Colorado Rose". The lovely pink/purple insides surprised me when I cut into them. They added great color.


Sweet onions - I used these in the frittatas as well, thinly sliced and sautéed. They were as promised - sweet and delicious.


Tomato - The first of the season! I took it camping and sliced it up for sandwiches. It was plump and heavy and a rich red hue - everything you expect from a local grown tomato. I waited too long to eat this, methinks. It had a mealy mouthfeel and lacked flavor. I didn't finish it.


Carrots, Cucumbers, Kohlrabi - Lately, I just peel the carrots and hand them over to my little bunny, Anika, who enjoys munching them down to the too-tough top ends. We ate the cukes and kohlrabi peeled and raw. Why mess with success?


Tatsoi - I ate about half of the bunch with some eggs. I expected a bitter flavor, but it tasted fresh, green, and subtle. The other half lies lonely, moist and half-rotten in my fridge, still in its plastic bag, slowly suffocating... I will take it out to the compost bin tonight, and take heart in its reincarnation.


Basil - I made pesto!







Garlic - I've been adding this to odds and bits throughout the week.

Lettuce - Salad, natch.



Zucchini - This was also packed along for the camping trip. Sautéed and added to the frittatas.


We opted for the vacation credit for Week 6. Next week will be Week 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment