Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tractor Touchdown!

First, the BIG news. Last night was a six-hours-of-sleep-straight kinda night! 'Twas a beautiful thing.


In other news, we finally got our tractor yesterday! Or really I should say Ryan finally got his tractor, a John Deere 2520. Because I'm not the one who's been researching for years, or who comes home and watches tractor videos on the Internet, or who clapped like a little girl when he got it.


Okay, I actually did clap, but I wasn't the only one! Anika was thrilled too. She couldn't wait to get a ride on the tractor with daddy.






In all seriousness, it was a momentous big day for the hubs. He truly had been planning and looking forward to getting one for a long, long time. We've got big plans for a driveway turn around, more parking, planting some grass, an orchard and a garden (with rabbit- and deer-proof fence!), mounding another berm, and of course more trees.



Once the tractor was unloaded, and Ryan got some pointers on the mechanics and implements, he proceeded to till, grade, scoop, and ride until the sun went down... *sigh* Goodbye husband. But hello front yard!





As of last week, Kaden is now ten months old.






I still don't understand how that much time could go by so quickly. You'd think, as I've been getting exponentially less sleep this past year, that time would linger - that being awake for more of the day would make it longer. Makes sense, right? Usually, I'm looking forward to the next milestone so much I miss out on what is happening in the here and now. But not with Kaden. He's my last baby, and I so badly want to hang on to the small days with him. But every time I turn around, he's grown again. Why does he keep doing that?!

For example, his first tooth finally broke through this Monday. Bottom right, with the left one just about to bust through too. Kaden is also starting to get up on his hands and knees, getting ready to crawl. And grabbing drawer handles and baby gates to pull up on. But mostly he just rolls wherever he wants to go now. Kaden's like an soldier in combat; he spies where he wants to go and he just throws his head under and tosses his body over in one smooth, fast motion. He goes all over the place: into the kitchen and around the island, into the laundry room, mudroom, and especially the playroom. Goodbye safe, immobile baby. It's just another one of the lasts. Last swaddle. Last quiet nursing session (this is fast approaching). Last gummy grin that's mine, all mine. Milestones are so bittersweet. Lucky for me, with every last, there's a first too.




I remember when I was so worried about Anika's speech. At two years old, she was barely saying anything. At two and a half, she said maybe maybe 50 words. Now at almost three, I can't keep this kid from talk talk talking! I love it. She's so communicative in every way - her body, her tone, her words. She's been singing all kinds of songs: Ring Around The Rosy, Row Row Row Your Body, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Rockabye Baby, among others. She's becoming very musical lately. My mom gave me my old wood harp from my childhood last week, and Anika loves it. She's been playing her toy piano often too. Right before she begins, she'll hold her hands in the air and say "and one and two and..." and start playing, like she's conducting herself!



Her favorite sayings lately are:

"I made this for you!" as she holds up whatever drawing, cutout, project she's been working on
"Night night, sleep tight, dun light the bed bugs might!"
Immediately after waking in the morning: "Mommy, I wan my viamins. Dey help me wake up!"
"Me do it all by myself!"
"But it's my birthday!" (everyday is her birthday lately)
"Mommy, I wan go outside peeeeeze. I wan get dirdy."
Her response when we tell her no: "But I neeeeeeed to! I haaaaaave to!"
"Mommy, kai be loud now? Dat okay?"
"I wan my snack." (all day long)
When the phone rings: "I get it!"
When she crawls into bed with us in the wee morning hours: "No Mommy, it not sleep time. It wake time!"
If she's done something wrong: "Oooptie. My not meeeean to."
If something is broken or out of batteries - "Hmmm. I know! Let's tape it!"
As she holds her index finger in the air: "Hey, I have an idea!"
And I'm proud to say "please" and "thank you" are also in her repertoire of common phrases as well. :)

There's so many more... I'll have to start writing these down on a weekly basis, as they come and go, but I want to remember them all.

I find myself so envious of my children's lives sometimes. For example, Kaden is sleeping right now. At 12:39 pm! What a slacker!




Although I can't say much for myself today. I'm still in my pajamas and have devoured four delicious servings of goat cheese and crackers already, along with oatmeal, tea, and a stray M&M egg I found on a pantry shelf that Ryan must've overlooked at Easter time. It's a sorry lot of a day, cloudy and dark, shrouding my motivation. At least I've written something today, which always make me feel I've accomplished something... even if I don't have a bra on. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment